Friday, February 09, 2007

Single Bloom

37a/365

37b


37c


I've had this Christmas cactus for about 10 years. It came with the promise of abundant blooms, but with the exception of the year I bought it, it has bloomed very little. In fact the first few years it didn't bloom at all, and then it started blooming each year in March. When I wrote my application essay for seminary I used this cactus as a metaphor for my life: late-blooming.

I've been watching a single bud develop on this plant; this morning I caught it in the sunlight, and played with my camera and the light. Then this afternoon I caught the light from a different direction.

I love taking pictures, but the truth is, I don't know anything about what I am doing. It's all trial and error. I just got a new book on photography; once I get a chance to study it, we'll see if my pictures improve. I figure I can't justify buying a better camera until I learn how to fully use the one I have.

6 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

This flower is fantastic!

Ianqui said...

Let me just say that Super G convinced me of the same thing for a long time--that I should get to know my little digital point and shoot before getting a good camera. For a long time I played along, but then I realized that I'd never do it until I bought the expensive version and forced myself. And look at me now!

Not to mention that point and shoots are simply not designed to allow much control, even if they nominally have a manual setting. For example, you'll never be able to play much with a shallow depth of field (except in macro mode). So even if you read your book and learn the concepts, you just won't really be able to put them into practice without a dSLR.

Just, you know, FYI.

Scrivener said...

I like how Ianqui tries to pretend, there right at the end, that she didn't just give you the pitch to go ahead and buy the better camera. ;)

Ianqui said...

Hey, I'm just providing information.

Rev Dr Mom said...

Laughing at both of you!

The real thing holding me back from a new camera right now is the $$, I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

I love Christmas cacti. Often they need cold, dark treatment before they will re-bloom. A friend of mine who left hers in a cold, dark apartment for a couple of weeks every year had terrific success with her (frankly much too gorgeous) Christmas cactus. The rest of us who don't leave our homes for two weeks, I dunno! I tried to give me night-blooming cereus (which had not bloomed) a cold treatment by leaving it outside in the fall. But I left it too long and killed it. Very upsetting!