Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Work in Progress

This blog, that is...

Despite having a fairly decent web page when I was teaching, I really know nothing about html. (I used FrontPage because that is what the college supported, and even though it wasn't a great program, my pages turned out okay and I didn't have to learn html). So I just spent an hour figuring out how to edit my template to list the blogs I read (and it's just a partial list so far). Some of you have such great looking pages--I know I have a lot to learn.

I'd like to post some pictures next, but which ones to post will be affected by how anonymous I want this to be. When I started reading blogs, I was a bit surprised at the lengths some bloggers go to in order to protect their anonymity. I am a member of an email list where we are quite open about who we are, and it seems to work out well. We've had many F2F meetings (we call them 'listmeets') and it's great fun. After reading blogs for several months, and starting a new job, I have a greater appreciation of the anonymity issue. So for now, I will remain anonymous, and see how it goes. And thus will pick my pictures carefully.

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I usually don't show any faces in my photos but that is partly just me being silly because anyone who knows me or my family would recognize the photos anyhow.

My main concern is that I don't want students googling me and finding my blog so I have been careful about not using my real name on the blog.

I still haven't gotten around to figuring out html .... I am just using some kind of standard template. Fooling around with that stuff is just so time-consuming ....

Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm using a standard template, too.

My main concern is my kids' privacy. I'd be much more reluctant to post potty training stories if I knew that people around town could identify my son through them. I mean, who wants to grow up with random strangers pointing to you on the street and recognizing you for your potty habits?

If you're still working through the anonymity issue, I recommend not using Blogger's button for uploading pictures. Once you post a picture to Blogger's servers, you can't take it down again. And the pictures are indexed by Google's image search. If you use Flickr or something similar to host your photos, it's easier to delete or restrict access if you change your mind.

Many of us have free site meter programs that track some information about our visitors, like where they're coming from (roughly) and what referring page they used to get here. Seeing some of the Google searches that bring people to blogs makes me glad I'm blogging anonymously...