Tuesday, October 25, 2005

School Daze

This is the first year in many years (22 to be exact) that my life has not been governed by the academic calendar. And it is a bit strange. In August, I missed the flurry of activity that accompanies getting ready for the "new year"---whether that means preparing syllabi and checking book orders, or buying books and checking class schedules. In September, when classes started, I missed the classroom, the promise of a new semester, new challenges. Now that it is mid-semester, I can't honestly say that I miss writing or taking exams, and I certainly don't miss grading them.

I'm not sorry I left academia; I was called in a new direction. I enjoyed teaching most of the time, and I like research, but I don't think I'm driven enough to maintain a rigorous research program. Truthfully though, I miss being a student more than being a teacher. I loved being in seminary. Yes, I complained just like everyone else about the pressure of papers, reading, exams, too much to do. But truth is, I'm a school geek, and there is a part of me that will always feel most at home in a classroom.

Now I move to the rhythm of the church year instead of the school year. To a certain extent, the fall is still the "new year"; as summer winds down, activity at church picks up. But the real "new year" is coming: Advent, which not only anticipates Christmas, but also marks the beginning of a new liturgical year. So instead of preparing for final papers and exams, I'll be making Advent wreaths, and teaching about Jesse Trees, and preaching on holding on to the anticipation that defines Advent. I'll be planning Christmas pageants and Christmas sermons. And just like any other year, I'll be crazy busy.

4 comments:

What Now? said...

Interesting post. One of the things that I worry about if I ever left academia for the priesthood (which, darn it, is this idea that never quite leaves the back of my brain) is the change in rhythm, moving away from the academic calendar. At the same time, it makes me sad that I never really have a true Advent, since December is all about final exams instead of all about the coming of Christ.

Rev Dr Mom said...

What Now, I used to feel the same way about Advent. I'm a bit of a Scrooge about secular Christmas (I think it's gotten way out of hand and I HATE that is starts in the stores before Halloween) but Advent was always just a blur at the end of the semester. We'll see how it goes this year....I've always heard clergy complain about it too, but I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'm naive. :)

Anonymous said...

this advent we have the revgals advent devotional and it'll be great :) just you wait and see

it's a time of preparation away from the bustle of the commercialism of Christmas. I'm SO looking forward to it

love the name of the blog by the way

Kathryn said...

Advent is a blur, if my first ordained Advent was anything to go by...it seemed to be a bizarre mixture of school carol services and funerals, for the most part, and left me just as wiped out before Christmas as any secular variant ever had. But it was fun...truly...
Hope yours goes well.