Monday, October 31, 2005

Oh, I Was Afraid of This....

Disclaimer: I claim absolutely no political savvy, no expertise; I just know what I think.

When Harriet Miers was nominated for the Supreme Court, I didn't quite know what to think. I am inherently suspicious of anyone GWB likes, and it smacked of croneyism for him to nominate one of his own counsels. But the fact that the right wingers disliked Miers made me wonder if she was the best we could hope for.

Now she's stepped aside, and Bush has nominated a Real Conservative. Yikes. The glee of the conservatives on news reports today was palpable. There will be a knock-down drag-out fight in the Senate, but I'm not really sure it will make any difference in the long run.

There is a part of me that wonders if this isn't what Bush planned all along...nominate someone he could pass off as a moderate to look conciliatory, knowing she'd never be approved, and then bringing in the kind of candidate he really wants.

Sadly Bush's legacy will remain long after he's back on the ranch. I worry about the world my children and (future) grandchildren will live in. I am ashamed that my generation has moved so far away from the liberal ideals we grew up with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It feels like a gut punch, doesn't it? Just knocks the wind right out of me. I think about how my dad stood up for things in the '60's and I'm sort of glad he isn't around to see how lame and ineffectual the Democrats are. And even when they do attempt to rise up and make a noise, the media seems to twist it and turn it in a way that ultimately benefits the President.
I had hopes after Katrina. We'll see how it plays out with Alito and whether I was right.