Where did the month go?
After NaBloPoMo, I had every intention of continuing to blog, and I found myself thinking occassionally, "That'll blog!" but somehow, the posts never got written. So here's the month in random bits:
~The month started with a wonderful liturgy installing me as rector and celebrating our new ministry together as a parish. Some of my favorite people from my former parish traveled up to attend, and my clergy coach preached. It was a truly fantastic evening. And the next day was my birthday.
~I managed NOT to have the Christmas blues--I can't remember the last time that happened. Really. I can't remember.
~But I have to say that when Christmas Eve came, it took me a bit to feel the magic. Church on Christmas Eve is different here. Not bad, necessarily, but different.
~No Christmas pageant this year, and I'm surprised how much I missed it. But I did invite all the kids at the 5:00 service to come up front, and I read them the Christmas story from a Tomie DePaola book--and I saved the magi part for our Epiphany celebration on January 6.
~Another priest on FB who is in a new church remarked how much easier things would be when she wasn't doing everything for the first time. I think that is a wise observation. Just figuring out how things are "customarily" done is exhausting sometimes. And balancing the whole "of course you can do whatever you want" v. "we can't change anything!" scenario requires a lot of ....tact, to say the least.
~I had presents bought earlier than ever (but not that early by some standards, I suppose) and got the tree up in a timely manner, but I still found myself with too much to do on Christmas Eve. Which makes no sense, because I had so much less to do this year at work than last.
~The Kid and I went to Vermont on Christmas day as soon as I finished church to have Christmas with the NSLS and WW families. Baby J has a new kitchen and loves to cook. "Sit, Amma!" she says, and "Cook!" Then she gives me an ice cream cone. And Baby M is growing fast!
~Unbelievably, my camera never came out of my camera bag while I was away. Don't know how that happened. I did take a few pix with my phone but it's not the same.
~Too many deaths around Christmas....a good friend's father died on the 23rd, a priest colleague from my former diocese dies on December 24th, as did someone from my former parish in VT. I went to her funeral on Tuesday. It was the first time I'd been back to that parish since the week I was ordained as a deacon, and it was good to reconnect as we celebrated P's long and full life.
~We made it home yesterday between snow storms--here and there. I seem to have lost my driving-in-the-snow mojo, and I need to get it back. I live at the top of a hill, and I worry about getting up (and down!) when the roads are messy, although I did okay when I went to get groceries this morning.
~I won't be sorry to see 2009 out. What a year--the good, the bad, and the ugly. At least it ended on an upbeat. That should be a separate post, actually.
~What will 2010 bring in the blogosphere? When I click through my blogroll, I see so many abandoned or taken down blogs. There are voices I miss. But people move on....that's life. It will be interesting to see how blogging/fb/twitter play out in the next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment