Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010!

It's hard to believe that we're marking the beginning of the second decade of this century! I remember clearly where I was and what I was doing 10 years ago as we awaited the dawn of 2000. It was the time of Y2k....seems so silly now, but some people took it so seriously. The Kid and I were the only ones home for new year's eve (I don't remember where the girls were), and we played games on the computer to pass the time until midnight--no blogs or Facebook then to keep us occupied. At midnight we watched the time turn over (correctly) on our computer, and had some sparkling cider to toast the new year.

This year it's the two of us again. The Kid was supposed to be away visiting his high school friends, but he woke up sick this morning and had to delay his departure. So we're sitting here with our laptops, awaiting 2010, and we'll have sparkling cider again. Maybe I'll try out my new popcorn maker, too.

So much has happened in the last ten years. At the beginning of 2000 I was going up for tenure, and discerning my call to the priesthood. My three older kids were all in college, and the Kid was in 3rd grade. Now the girls are both married and mothers, the Kid is in college and Elder Son is in grad school. My father, mother-in-law, and father-in-law all died of cancer, and my mother has moved into assisted living. 9/11 happened, and I went off to seminary and was ordained. I've moved three times. I've made new friends and reconnected with old ones. And all that just barely conveys how my life has changed. I wonder what the next 10 years will bring?

Happy New Year everyone. May 2010 be filled with good things for all.

3 comments:

chichimama said...

Happy New Year!!!!

What Now? said...

Wow, what a decade! Many blessings to you and your family in 2010.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Happy new year/decade! :)