My boss is on vacation! So ever since I came back from Vermont after July 4, I've been on my own. Yesterday was my second solo Sunday, and a number of people quite solicitously asked how I was doing by myself. I appreciate their concern, but the truth is, I like being solo. I will hasten to add that I have not had any pastoral emergencies, and it's a fairly quiet time of year, but that said, I like what I'm doing. I like preaching every week, and I feel like after stretch since Easter when I've felt like my sermons were lackluster, I'm hitting my stride right now. And I like leading the service, presiding at the Eucharist, so doing all three services on the weekend doesn't feel burdensome at all--it feels like a privilege.
Yesterday's main service was "good church"--the kind that felt like we were community, that felt uplifting--good music, good singing, the sermon seemed to go over well, God's presence was palpable. It's not always like that; as a priest I can come away from a service so distracted by the details that I don't feel like I've even been to church. But not yesterday. I'm grateful for those times.
2 comments:
Oh, me too, me too...i've loved having my Boss away, not that I don't love and respect him hugely, but I do so much better if I'm really busy, and like you, I'm so happy to be leading worship and preaching.
Hard to explain to congregation who think I must be struggling under the burden, without sounding unkind to WonderfulVicar...
Mine is back Friday...how much longer do you have?
That is such a good feeling, the one you describe about feeling you have worshiped, too.
Sounds like it's time for your own parish...(and Kathryn, too!)
Post a Comment