Friday, December 01, 2006

Adventfully Yours

Since Sunday is the First Sunday in Advent, a FridayFive from the RGBPs:

1) Do you observe Advent in your church?

Of course!

2) How about at home?

Of course!

I remember celebrating Advent ever since I was a very small child, before it was common to see Advent stuff all over the place. We had a wreath, but I'm not sure we used purple candles until much later, and we never had a pink one. I think we used all white candles

3) Do you have a favorite Advent text or hymn?

Long time favorite: O Come O Come Emmanuel, with different verses for the different Sundays in Advent.

New favorite: Comfort, Comfort ye My People

4) Why is one of the candles in the Advent wreath pink? (truth or ficition)

Because Mary wanted a girl.

Honestly, I know about "Gaudette Sunday" now, but it is not something I grew up with. And I use four blue candles in my wreath at home (liking Sarum blue better than purple).

5) What's the funniest/kitschiest Advent calendar you've ever seen?

I'm totally boring and I'm not sure I've ever seen a really funny one. But I collect Advent calendars, something I started quite unintentionally when the Kid was little. I bought one that has tiny books you take out each day. And you can put them back in and use them again next year...and the next. That one had the Christmas story, and then I found one with A Christmas Carol.

I also have two that are so beautiful that I just push the little doors shut and use them again--or at least display them again. One is an icon of Mary and the other is nativity by an artist whose name escapes me at the moment.

Last year at the church rummage sale I bought a small quilt that looks to me like it was meant to be an Advent calendar, and if I get my act together (who knows if I will?!) I am going to sew a small ring on each number and use some of my (too many for one tree) Christmas ornaments on it.

And this year I bought a sort of kitschy one I guess; it's a quilted globe and each day you velcro on a little doll representing a child from different places.

When I unpack my stuff, I may even find one I've forgotten about.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the sound of the globe one. We have a funny velcro calendar that I will blog about later.

chartreuseova said...

My little one might like the globe calendar...a good way to talk about "Peace on Earth" and counteract all the war stuff she sees and hears.

revhipchick said...

the nerve! "mary wanted a girl"
LOVE IT!

the advent quilt sounds wonderful.

Maria Tafoya said...

The globe calendar sounds wonderful, like something 10,000 Villages or 3rd World Handarts would sell.

Anonymous said...

My kids would love the globe!

Magdalene6127 said...

Well played, Rev Dr Mom! I love the sound of your many advent calendars.

Blessings,

Mags

Sally said...

Ooh I love your Kistchy advent calender!!!

Anonymous said...

I am such a grinch. I think the earlier the stores trot out Christmas jingles and decoration, the later I put off doing anything regarding Advent or Christmas. If it weren't for the annual open house in the rectory that I always do the third Sunday of Advent, I am not sure I'd ever get anything up. That said, I have two Advent calendars -- one that my mother made for me when I went off to college, replicating one we always had in the kitchen (I will photograph it and put it up on my blog some day) onto which one pins little thiings, and the other is one a parishioner made for me two years ago, a lovely quilted calendar that has pockets into which one may put one's favourite sweets. She filled it with Jolly Ranchers, which lasted a long time :)

Unknown said...

Oh good play. Like your collection of advent calendars.