Saturday, July 22, 2006

Random Bulllets of ....Grocery Shopping

Being the keeper of teenager who needs frequent (read non-stop) nourishment, I've decided I need to shop and cook more often so yesterday afternoon I went serious grocery shopping. It was a frustrating experience.
  • I wanted some couscous. Just plain couscous. Not parmeasan couscous, or roasted pine nut couscous or couscous with peppers, just plain couscous. The only way you can buy plain couscous, apparently is in Very Large Containers--$8.oo worth. That's a lot of couscous for two people.
  • I wanted some fresh fruits and vegetables. It's summer after all. Shopping at Whole Foods in the city got me used to knowing where the produce I bought came from, but that's not so easy at my standard chain grocery. Even when the sign up above says "organic" or "locally grown" you have to read the fine print on the stickers to make sure you aren't getting Chilean fruit or Canadian tomatoes (what a concept!).
  • And it turns out it's just about impossible to eat local here. I went to the local produce market that had been recommended to me, thinking "farmer's market" but when I arrived it was just a glorified grocery store produce department + fancy cheeses and wines and a meat department. Honestly, I think it's there mostly for the beach goers who don't want to go to the big grocery store. No fresh local produce to be had. Sigh.
  • My desire to leave a smaller footprint is in direct proportion to the number of highly packaged individually wrapped throwaway products available to tempt me. And I admit that I am susceptible to some of them. So I cancel myself out--I buy environmentally friendly and non-petroleum based laundry detergent and then buy the individually wrapped petroleum based Shout wipes, because I am a slob and need them to keep from ruining my clothes.
  • And speaking of environmentally unfriendly throw aways products, what is it with the proliferation of battery operated toothbrushes, each with its own unique pattern of moving, vibrating, pulsating bristles? I am dentally challenged and always looking for a good toothbrush, soI am somewhat susceptible here, too. But the one that I actually think does a good job on my teeth doesn't have a replaceable battery, so I've pledged not to buy another one.
  • Instead of all the special cards that have to be scanned and points that have to be collected (and the stupid slips saved) and special prices that change weekly, wouldn't it be easier for the stores and the shoppers just to mark everything down a bit and forgoe all the gimicks? Wouldn't it save all of us money and aggravation?
I did manage to make it home with some ingredients to cook some meals, but I am not inspired, no I'm not. I used to like cooking, and I was a good cook. But that was then, and this is now....takeout pizza, anyone?

4 comments:

chichimama said...

I have a great curry couscous salad if you want the recipe as I too was faced with the choice of no couscous of a big jar earlier in the summer and have been scrambling to figure out how to use it.

You mean to tell me that I am going to be eated out of house and home by my boy for the next 14 plus years? I swear I already pay double than what all my friends with girls pay and he is only four.

Of course the fact that I buy only organic and environmental friendly (with a few notable exceptions as well ;-) ) probably doesn't help.

No name said...

RE: Whole Foods, as I posted tonight on my Whole Foods consumer blog: I can sympathize - I get totally thrown off when I have to shop while away from home. I usually go around in circles for awhile, like a dog looking for place to lie down. And you are right, a lot of grocers haven't adopted the policy of identifying the sources of their produce.

Anonymous said...

Bring back the Spanish Rice Casserole!!! LD#2

Anonymous said...

It would seem that if someone were concerned about their "footprint" then they'd also be concerned about the total energy costs of the goods the purchase. Like tomatoes. The energy cost to growers in the US to keep tomatoes cool enough to grow is 5x the energy cost of heating them in Canada. Local growers should make wiser decisions about what crops they grow, and consumers should reward the most efficient producers.