Friday, November 11, 2005

Let Them Eat Pie

From the RevGalBlog Pals:

Share a story about a special pie in your life.

I would rather have pie than cake, but I come from a family of cake makers. So not too many pies stories.

1) Apple Pie--I love apple pie, warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No stories, just enjoyment.

2) Cherry Pie--my mother has always belonged to a bridge club. The only time I ever remember her making cherry pie was for the bridge club. Actually they were little cherry tarts, and it was George Washington's birthday I think. They were really cute, and luckily my siblings and I got to eat the leftovers.

3) Pumpkin Pie--I never even tasted pumpkin pie until I was an adult. In my family we had sweet potato pie instead. Once I'd tasted pumpkin, I was a convert. I love all things pumpkin--pie, bread, bagels, soup, cheesecake.

4) Chocolate Cream Pie--although I love chocolate, and I love pie, I don't love them together. So no chocolate cream pie.

5) Pecan Pie--now we're talking. Pecans were always plentiful in my childhood, and we always had pecan pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I continued that tradition. I make it with a little maple syrup in addition to the corn syrup-yum. Favorite of Lovely Daughter #1.


Bonus Question: Do you have a favorite kind of pie not on this admittedly short list?

My grandmother was an innovative cook, in the style of the country cooking of the Piedmont and mountains of North Carolina. She made a wonderful lemon pie with Eagle Brand milk and whipped cream, but my favorite concoction (which I've never seen anywhere else) was Grape Hull Pie. She used grapes with thick skins--scuppernongs I think-- and squeezed the insides out (I think she made jelly with them), then cooked the hulls with sugar and lemon juice to make pie filling. It was soooo good. My siblings don't recall it as fondly as I do, and most people I've mentioned it to have never heard of such a thing. I would love to have it again.

Peach pie and blackberry pie are the two pies my mother made with some regularity when I was a child. Even today they evoke memories of hot summer days and juicy fresh fruit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm. i love lemon, but not the meringue. and cheesecake with sour cream topping [which is really a pie].

Anonymous said...

and -- lucky you, with so many pies in the family tree! the only thing i remember any older relative baking was boxed coffee cake mix. *sniff* *sigh* my sisters and i rebelled by learning to bake. :)

Unknown said...

Isn't there something called chess pie? I seem to remember dimly from my Southern childhood, but I don't really remember what it was--maybe some kind of custard?

Rev Dr Mom said...

Yes, chess pie is a sort of like custard, but I don't think it has milk. It was not part of my childhood; I first encountered it in Vermont, so I don't know if it's southern or not.

Bad Alice said...

Mmm. I grew up with pecans, too, and I adore a good pecan pie.

I've never had grape hull pie, but your comment reminded my of my mom's muscadine jelly. The grapes had very thick skins--I used to pop out the pulp to eat them because the skins were pretty sour. I miss that jelly.

Jody Harrington said...

Chess pie is definitely southern. It used to be called "Jeff Davis pie". "Chess" is a corruption of "jeffdavis". It is like pecan pie without the pecans.