Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Fine Art of Procrastination and Other Ramblings

I am sitting at my desk at work--not that I am doing anything productive. I have two sermons to write--one for Sunday and one for an interfaith service next Wednesday--but does that motivate me? Oh, no. And a couple of adult forums to prep for. Nope, that doesn't motivate me either. I'd rather blog. It was probably are really bad idea for me to start reading blogs at work--and now I'm writing them here as well.

And a bit of irony: my (almost) 14 yo's most irritating trait? Procrastination. Is this some sort of pay back? I swear, though, that he takes it to a new height (or perhaps a new low is a better descriptor). I, at least, am motivated by a bit of perfectionism that means that I will finish whatever needs to be done. Not that perfectionism is a really positive trait, either, but it does somehow help to mediate the last minute thing. He, on the other hand, really could care less about quality most of the time, so slipshod at the last minute is usually okay with him.

That may be changing a bit. He's a smart kid, and he's in all honors classes this year for the first time, and he's found out what it is like to be with a bunch of high achievers. On his last English project he did a credible job, but when he saw what other people had done he was kind of blown away. His response--they all went way overboard. But I do notice that he is more concerned about how his next project turns out. It's due Monday. Hopefully it will be finished before midnight Sunday.

No comments: