Because Thursday and Friday are my days off, today is my "Friday". And Wednesdays are always super busy because we have a mid-morning service, then a staff meeting which always runs at least an hour, and then I meet with the rector (my boss). Then I try to tie up all the loose ends so that I really WILL be off the next two days. It's amazing how all the little detail things pile up.
Tomorrow instead of being off, though, I have a "Fresh Start" meeting. This is a program for newly ordained and/or newly placed clergy--sort of a mentoring/support group kind of thing. It's mandatory, but I think it will be a good thing--tomorrow is only the 2nd meeting, so it's too soon to be completely sure.
Last week's days off were partly taken up with Diocesean Convention--Episco-speak for all the clergy and lay representatives from each church in our diocese (judicatory/geographical area) to get together and hear the Bishops report on what's happening. This diocese is MUCH bigger than the one I came from and I don't know many people in the diocese yet, so the crowd of people was a bit much given that I'm an introvert. But interesting to hear what's going on.
But on Friday Sk8tr Boy is off school and we are going to Nearby City for the day--our first trip there for fun since we moved here in July. We both miss seminary City a LOT so being in any city should be a good diversion. What will we do? Meet a friend for lunch, perhaps go to the aquarium, just walk around. I've not spent much time in this city, so I have a lot to learn.
I totally forgot that there was an election yesterday. No state offices up for election here, and I know nothing about town politics yet. It's cheering to see that Maine managed to fend off attempts to overturn a law guaranteeing civil rights for LGBT folks. And a thumbs up to CA voters for defeating all of Ahnold's propositions, and to VA voters for electing another Democratic governor in a mostly Republican state. If only we didn't have three more years to bear GWB.
And speaking of Bush, this editorial in the New York Times gives a pretty grim appraisal of the Bush presidencey and the chaos at this point. Looks like he's used up the political capital he was so loud mouthed about last about this time.
1 comment:
day off with son sounds lovely. (green with envy to be honest)
Post a Comment