Today is All Saints' Day, one of my favorite days in the Church year. One of my favorite hymns is associated withAll Saints' Day. It's not great music but it is one that has stuck with me since childhood--I remember singing it in children's choir. It begins:
I sing a song of the Saints of God
Patient and brave and true.
They toiled and fought and lived and died
For the Lord they loved and knew.
And one was a doctor and one was a queen
And one was a shepherdess on the green.
They were all of them saints of God, and I mean,
God helping to be one, too.
Now the "toiling and fighting" part doesn't speak to me so much, but what grabbed me even as a child is that saints are not just "holy people", not just the figures of scripture, not just story book myth and legend. No, the saints are everyday folk, struggling just as we all do, to live the lives to which we are called. We encounter the saints, often unaware, in the midst of out daily lives--on city streets or country lanes, at work, at school, in our families--wherever we go about our life and work.
Today I remember the saints in my life--all those who touched me in various ways, who loved me, who nurtured me in ways large and small and helped me to become the person that I am. I remember especially my father and my beloved mother-in-law, both of whom died too soon. And I remember those saints whom I never met, but whose lives nonetheless shaped mine--especially today Rosa Parks whose fortitude is an example to all of us.
Who are the saints in your life?
5 comments:
I LOVE that hymn! I remember thinking how cool it was that a saint could be a doctor or a queen and that saints take tea and sail the ocean...
Thank you for reminding me.
Me, too! A total favorite. I went to Episcopal day school (St. Agnes in Alexandria, VA) grades 1-7, and I still love many of the good Anglican hymns we sang at chapel there.
I have a wonderful children's book illustrating the hymn as a pageant about saints. Do you know it?
I blogged about heroes of faith over at my site earlier today. Fr Leonard was one of them in my life. A kind man and priest who challenged me to seek God's truth for myself :)
Songbird, I do know that book, and I have a copy autographed by the author. And the church in it is St. Luke in the Fields in New York City. I did my field placement there. It's a wonderful church.
St. Luke's had a devastating fire in the early 80s and the author donated some of the proceeds from her book sales to the rebuilding effort.
What a beautiful story! I had no idea.
Post a Comment