Somewhat out of the blue last week, the opportunity to acquire a puppy just fell into my lap. And not just any puppy, a golden doodle puppy--this one to be specific:

Isn't she cute?
As it happens, if I were looking for a dog, a golden doodle is exactly what I'd want--low to no shedding, good temperament, good with kids, smart, gentle. Just what I'd want.
BUT
The timing couldn't be worse. I have to pack and move house and start a new job and get a kid off to college. How would I have time to deal with a puppy? Yikes.
But she's so cute.
And then there's my vacation plans. I can't adopt a puppy and go off and leave her. And I don't see how I can take her with us either, for several reasons. So unless her current owner would wait until I get home, that's a problem.
But the biggest issue is this: Am I REALLY ready for this kind of commitment? For the first time in my adult life I won't have to be responsible for another person. So do I want to tie myself down with a puppy?
But she's so cute...
And I'm torn. On Friday and Saturday I was sure I would take her. But yesterday and today I'm leaning more in the direction of saying no, and at the same time thinking I'll regret it later if I do.
Argh.
Opinions, of course, are welcome.
*for you non-clergy types, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the discernment process clergy must engage in prior to ordination, e.g., "I'm discerning my call to the priesthood"
10 comments:
The puppy is ADORABLE.
That said, moving and settling into a new job are two of the most stressful things you can do in life. If I were you, I'd be inclined to wait until I had found my rhythm in my new setting before adding a dog to the mix. You might find that you love the freedom of not having any dependents and decide against dog-ownership. Better to take that chance than to regret getting the dog, methinks.
But she's SO CUTE!!! Oh, golly.
She really is so cute, and golden doodles are lovely.
Perhaps it would help to find out if in fact the current owners could keep her a little longer, so that you could bring her to her new home post-move, post-vacation, and post-Kid's departure. I'd say that full information sometimes helps the discernment process!
And may your discernment process be lacking all of the abuse of the ordination process!
What an adorable puppy! I can see how you'd be torn.
Good luck with the decision and with all the other things you are dealing with now.
She's a joy, but I have to say, having welcomed a golden retriever into my life here a year ago, 2 months AFTER we'd moved...she was an unbelievable disruption. Broken nights, having to be home every 2 hours at least 2 let her out for loo breaks, chewing any and everything (she's still working on the garden fence one year on).
I wouldn't be without her for all the tea in China, but am not sure I'd have coped with moving house with her as a new puppy...
yeah, the disruption. but still -- she is awfully cute, and the pull feels strong.
if this does not work out, it sounds like you are committed to another pup who needs you, once you get settled.
But she's soooooooo cute (and I don't even really like animals that much).
She is adorable, and you do whatever your heart and your head tell you to do. Don't mind us. We all just want that puppy ourselves (or at least I do!)
Yes, Mibi, and my heart is saying yes and my head is saying no!
Doooooo it. <3
Is it ever really a good time to get a puppy? I think they are sort of like babies - there's never really a good time to have a baby. You just have to take the leap and make it work, whether you leap now or later probably doesn't make that much difference.
And by the way, she is so so adorable!
Post a Comment