Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Turtle Update

It seems that the turtle, she came to lay eggs.

There is a large pile of mulch in my driveway, left there by folks who were working on my yard (and never finished, but that's a different story) and yesterday when I came back from dog walking, I noticed that it had been dug in, all over one side. I mentioned this to someone at the office, who told me that the same thing had happened last summer before I moved in. Last year, one of the yard workers dug up and moved all the eggs closer to the pond behind my house.

I can't even SEE the pond right now because the undergrowth has taken over, and we're apparently not allowed to cut it back without all kinds of permission....even though the pond is human made, it is still on a wetland. So I don't think I'm going to be trying to move the turtle eggs. And if someone ever comes to move the mulch...well, that doesn't seem to likely now. I just hope those baby snappers have a good sense of direction when they hatch.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh, she is making a home at yours. Won't this be fun for the kiddies and doggies.

susan said...

That is so neat!

jo(e) said...

Oh, that is so cool. And if the eggs remain undisturbed, the baby turtles shouldn't have any trouble finding the pond.

(BTW: if you did move them for some reason, it's important to keep the eggs in the same position as they are now -- no turning them sideways or flipping them upside down. So you would transfer them into a container in the same position, carry them carefully, and then transfer them again into the new hole. But the best thing is to see if you can let them stay right where they are.)

ccw said...

How exciting!

Rev Dr Mom said...

I'm not bothering the eggs; I'm not sure that the same can be said for the neighborhood raccoons, though.

Yankee, Transferred said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yankee, Transferred said...

Sorry...it had a BIG typo in it. Great turtle story, is what I was trying to say.