Monday, December 19, 2005

While I'm on the Subject

Of Christmas...

I have really mixed feelings about this whole "is it Christmas or is it a Holiday" kerfluffle. On the one hand it is CHRISTmas. On the other hand, the way the holiday is celebrated has very little to do with its religious origins. I could be perfectly happy, I think, if it became the Winter Holiday, celebrated with gifts and decorations perhaps, and the religious holiday was completely separate. I have little patience with the Christian right's pleas to boycott stores that don't use "Christmas" in their advertisements.

And I think we need to get over the idea that the United States is a "Christian nation". It's not, and it wasn't meant to be, IMHO. I'd be happy to think we were a moral nation....as long as its not GWB who is defining what "moral" is.

Okay, I'm just being cranky. End of rant.

No comments: