Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday FIve~~Love the one you're with

I haven't done a Friday Five in forevah...I'm not off on Fridays anymore, and I tend to not think of it when I get home from work. But I'm doing this one quickly on my lunch break. 

Name five things you like about where you are living now... and as your bonus - 1 thing you don't like.

As of Thursday, I've lived here 11 months, so I'm a relative short timer here...

1. I like that I am on a commuter rail line to the city. It's a mere two minutes to the train station and then about 2 hours on the train--not bad at all! (although I wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis!)

2. I like the house I live in...built in 1876, it's fairly modest by Victorian standards, but quite spacious to me, and just suits me. 

3. I like my commute: out the door and across the lawn, and I'm there! And so far, the congregation has been very respectful of my privacy. 

4. I like that (contrary to the last place I lived) I can drive 20 minutes in any direction and find anything I might need. Target, WF, TJ's, Ikea, and the like all fairly close by (the minus is also the 20 minute drive...but you can't have everything, right?)

5.  I like that I am close enough to a major university with a divinity school (25 minutes or so) to take advantage of its offerings, as I did earlier this summer when I took two great classes. 


Bonus:  I dislike that although this is technically a "blue" state, in my area people are generally MUCH more conservative than I am. I don't think everyone needs to agree with me, but I find that I have to be pretty careful about voicing opinions (I avoid politics at work as a general rule, but outside of work as well...) and I hear some pretty outrageous comments from time to time. It kind of wears on me after living in 3 places that were by and large pretty liberal. 

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

ooo, the train! Love it.

as for the bonus...once you get acclimated and bored with that, come down here and I'll find some people to stand your hair on end.

or come down and I WON'T. But know that I could. :)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How great to be so close to classes. Universities add so much to a town.