Sunday, August 30, 2009

We're here!

Actually we've been here a few days--in our new location, that is. Guess it needs a pseudonym. Suffice it to say for now that it's in another New England state.

Packing up was crazy, as I knew it would be. Despite all my best efforts we were up half the night before the packers came finishing up. The movers were great, though, and loaded and unloaded with efficiency and good humor. Even the guys who had to trek up to the attic in my new house multiple times. Turns out the mover needed two trucks--not because I had too much stuff, but because I have so many books that it would've been too heavy for one truck! Go figure. One of the movers carrying in book boxes said "There sure is a whole lot of reading going on in this house!"

My new house is awesome. It's an old Victorian, and it's been well care for. The Kid quickly noted that we have a "cupboard under the stairs" and he claimed for his bedroom the room accessible directly by the back stairs. My only complaint is that I don't have enough storage space in the kitchen. The butler's pantry in my old house along with ample kitchen cabinets really spoiled me. And I don't really have enough furniture, but that is something to take care of over time.

So unpacking has gone slowly so far, but I need to pick up the pace because I actually start work on Tuesday. Not sure that reality has set in yet! I am excited and nervous and happy and scared, but I think that this is going to be a good place. They already gave us a warm welcome--and a delicious dinner--when we arrived Thursday evening.

If you've read here for long, you know that the last year and a half or so has been really difficult, but in the end it's all worked out. I left my previous position knowing that the work I'd done had been appreciated by the congregation, and knowing that I had built good relationships with parishioners, if not with my boss. And now I have a wonderful new position with lots of potential--lots of challenges to be sure, but lots of potential. I am so blessed to be here.

As I was packing I had lots of posts running through my head, triggered by things I found along the way, and things I chose to throw away (including my tenure file, my old syllabi, and most of my teaching materials.) Hopefully, some of those posts will actually get written.

But first I have more unpacking to do!

10 comments:

jo(e) said...

I hope it feels like home soon.

Caminante said...

Welcome to your new place (that I know at least the town not the church). Cool about the Victorian house. Blessings on starting your job.

Jules said...

Wow! What a relief this must be! Here's a glass of champagne for you!

Unknown said...

Ah, the Victorian Parsonage has been my fantasy! May you find joy in your new home.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

I'm so glad you're there and settling in. (Waggling my finger:) You don't need to get everything unpacked and organized all at once. Give yourself some breathing room. Get to know the space and the place. Do you get to change paint colors or put up a bit of wallpaper or anything like that?

Blessings on this next step!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I'm glad you're in your new home and settling in. Can't wait to hear about the parish!

susan said...

I hope the settling-in goes well! Happy unpacking, and happy exploring your new area.

What Now? said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in your new home and parish!

kathy a. said...

late to the party, but i'm glad your move went well. the new place sounds terrific!

Caminante said...

How's the unpacking going? It took me two months to find my pepper grinder and bathrobe. And I asked in Fresh Start for how long could I use the 'I've just moved' card. I think up to a year is acceptable since you haven't gone through the whole cycle (that means I have two more months to go!).