Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sweet Smell of Late Summer

As I walk up my driveway I'm surrounded by the sweet smell of wild grapes growing in the woods between my house and the church. The vines wind around trees and drape over the branches, and are very thick in some places, but it is hard to reach the grapes.

I don't think I even thought about wild grapes before I moved here, and last year this time when I first smelled them, I couldn't imagine where the smell was coming from. Last week I picked a few and ate them--so different from the grapes in the grocery store. These grapes remind me so much of the grapes my grandmother used when I was a child to make grape hull pie. She would squeeze the pulp out and use it to make grape jelly. Then she would cook the hulls with sugar and lemon and cinnamon to make pie filling. I've never seen grape hull pie anywhere else, but it one of my favorite childhood memories.

I wish I could blog the smell, but at least I can give you a picture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every once in awhile they sell Concord grapes at farmers' market. Making jelly from it is like diving right back into childhood. I've been fantasizing about grape arbors lately....

jo(e) said...

Your post brought that smell right back to me ....

chichimama said...

Yumm. I am so excited, our new house (if we ever move in) has grape vines right along the fence. Now I have to learn how to take care of them...

I've never heard of grape hull pie. It sounds yummy though!

ccw said...

I don't know what this smells like but it seems like a wonderful smell to associate with eary fall.

Yankee, Transferred said...

oooh great photo-I can almost smell the grapes!