The one thing I love most about where I live now is the birds. In the morning the air is full of the music of birdssong--the melodies surround you. This morning after I drove the Kid to school (because he missed the bus yet again) I stopped to fill the bird feeders and listen the the birdsong. After replenishing the oranges and grape jelly in the oriole feeder I glanced up at a large tree behind the stone wall and notices something orange on the branch. As I watched, a squirrel scampered up the tree and out onto the branch--to retrieve the orange that he had apparently stolen from the oriolde feeder last night and left on the branch til later. I quickly went inside and grabbed my camera:

I've been trying to get a picture of the orioles, so I stood quietly in the back yard midway between the feeders. It was calm and peaceful and here is some of what I saw:
I can't seem to get a really good oriole picture. The orange is brilliant, much brighter than a robin. Twice they have flown by the door when I was looking out and they were just beautiful.




3 comments:
Yay! Baltimore oriole!
I'm in Chicago today and I saw a red-winged blackbird and some other small red bird that I've never seen before. I wish I'd had my camera!
thanks for the info. i like the notion of specific feeders for different birds. now you've got me thinking ...
regarding oriole feeders ... i see they like nectar and jellies and oranges ... aren't bees a problem?
/ehj2
I really miss bird watching. When we lived in Ann Arbor, we saw all kinds of songbirds and water fowl. Now, we just see pigeons and starlings.
Post a Comment