Saturday, March 11, 2006

What I Saw Today

It has been a gloriously beautiful day--warm (50s), sunny, spring-like in every way. I went for a walk with a friend around noon, and we walked down to the harbor in our village. As we walked by the water at the very most inland point of the harbor I caught sight of fins in the water. Yes, it was a pod of dolphins!

There were 11 as best as we could count, swimming back and forth quite peacefully, sticking their snouts up to chatter occasionally. I don't think it is common for dolphins to be in that part of the harbor, at least from the comments of the others watching them. I came home and got my camera and The Kid, and when we got back there were even more people watching, and the dolphins were clearly playing--for our benefit?

I hope that they haven't gotten themselves someplace they shouldn't be. They have to go through this channel (to the left of the building with the red door) to get back out to open sea. The tide was going out , in fact was mostly out when we left, but the channel is supposed to be deep even at low tide.

They looked like they were having such fun, but I suppose that could be me, totally anthropomorphizing. I remember reading in
Madeleine L'Engle's Ring of Endless Light about the dolphins playing, and that has stuck with me.

It was incredibly hard to get good pictures, but we did get a few. I'll post more on Flickr later.

2 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Wonderful pictures! LG loved them too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How cool! I know that you miss Grad School City, but clearly where you are now has some advantages!