Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Weather Outside is Frightful


But to me it's quite delightful, because it's finally snowing. It started last night around midnight, and I'd guess we have 10-12 inches at this point. It's cold and windy and blowy, and fortunately I don't have to go anywhere.

I've always been fascinated by snow. I grew up in the south where it rarely snowed, but on those magical occasions when it did, we reveled in it. We built snow people and went sledding and ate snow cream--fresh snow mixed with sugar and canned milk and vanilla.

As an adult I've found watching falling snow to be peaceful and calming. I love the first furious flurries of fall, I love the fat flakes of the winter's first big storm, I love the piles and drifts of a fresh snow fall. How can what would be rain be transformed into those fat, feathery flakes, or those sharp stinging pellets? And how does it blanket the ground that way? How can it be so light and airy sometimes, and so heavy at others? (I'm not really looking for scientific answers here, just admiring snow in all its forms).

One of Vermont's local heroes is Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley, who pioneered the photography of individual snow flakes, revealing their unique and intricate six-sided structure. To me, snowflakes are one of the wonders of nature. You can see more of Bentley's images here, and you can even make some snowflakes of your own here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter and the dogs had quite a romp in the backyard, but it's 16 degrees here and when she was ready to come in, they followed! This weather is ideal for their big coats; they bound about with delight.

Unknown said...

P.S. I grew up mostly without snow, too, and I absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

I love snow, too. And I grew up with it!