So according to the news on NPR this evening, Exxon has recorded the biggest profit EVER for any company for the last year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it seems a bit immoral to me for an oil company to earn record profits riding on the backs of consumers paying record amounts for gas. Of course these record profits are "necessary" so that the company can pour more dollars into finding and extracting more oil (what's left of it), rather than exploring alternative energy sources. Sigh.....
And it looks like Alito will be confirmed tomorrow, thus ensuring Bush's legacy as changing the timbre of the Supreme Court for the next generation.
3 comments:
My husband was really depressed tonight. I am too far behind on my Ordinary Time reflections to be depressed just yet. Soon, though. Bleh.
I would not be doing my other blog justice if I didn't point out that no matter what, oil prices are not going to lower. Furthermore, in the grand scheme of things--which neither you nor any other reasonable world citizen wants to hear--the high prices are the least of our problems. In our lifetimes, we'll probably see oil rise to $100+/barrel. But more importantly, oil is running out, and no amount of corporate regulation is going to change that.
However, what Exxon should do with their profits is clean up the environmental horrors they've left behind, and start an aggressive alternative energy campaign. THAT'S what we really need right now.
Ianqui, my biggest problem is that Exxon is pocketing the profit to perpetuate more of the same,while the burden falls, as always, on those who can least afford it. And they are the ones who will suffer most as prices continue to rise, and as we begin to run out.
I do read your other blog, not as often as I should, I confess.
Post a Comment