Sunday, October 19, 2008

Score!

~Twice a year the church has a huge rummage sale. The amount of stuff that is contributed to these sales is truly astounding. I confess that I'm not much of a rummager so although I usually take a peek at what's there, I rarely buy anything, or even get very excited about it. (And to be even more honest, for lots of reasons, the rummages sales are a huge PITA and I'd just as soon avoid them altogether if I could, but that's not possible). Any way, the fall sale is next weekend, and that means that starting today, people are dropping off their treasures. One of the first things to be dropped off was a stereo system--one with a 3-disc changer, dual tape deck, AND a turntable--vintage late 90s I'm guessing but in like new condition. The Kid took one look and said, "Sold!" Because, you see, in our hall closet was a bag of vinyl--yes, a dozen or so of my old albums from high school and the years shortly afterwards that my daughter found in my mil's house shortly before she died. I'd forgotten they existed, but boy, were they a walk down memory lane--John Denver, Carly Simon, John Lennon, Elton John, the Beatles, and Tommy by the Who. And the Kid had longed wanted to hear them.

~So we are now listening to Elton John and the Kid is marveling at the technology--how you have to listen to songs in order rather selecting individual tracks when you want them, how you have to be careful lifting the stylus up, how you can still hear the record playing faintly when you turn the volume all the way down, and so forth. He's also vowing to start looking for old records to buy now.

~All this reminds me of my dad who had a huge record collection dating back into the 40s. When Daddy was in high school he worked for a juke box company changing records, and he was allowed to keep the records that were no longer going to be used. So he had some really cool stuff. And he kept buying records right up until shortly before he died. After he died we had a discussion about what to do with his record collection, and my mother agreed not to get rid of it without allowing us kids to have some of it. But when my mom's house was emptied out, things were a little chaotic and there's no telling what became of the records. I'm guessing they are either packed up somewhere at my sister's house, or more likely, were sold. I sure wish I had them.

No comments: