Sunday, October 05, 2008

In the blink of an eye, life changes

~When Baby J was born, there was a small white mark on her inner thigh. The nurse noticed it and suggested that NSLS have her pediatrician take a look at it, which she did. At first I think they thought it might fade with time, but it didn't, and in fact, they discovered a few more small white spots on her body, so they were referred to a dermatologist who then referred them to a geneticist.

~On Friday NSLS, Mr. LS and Baby J saw the geneticist and the white spots were diagnosed as tuberous sclerosis complex. Because there is no history of this condition on either side of the family, the doctor is assuming that this is the result of a random mutation. Although this condition can be linked to autism, developmental delays, and seizures, Baby J has so far experienced no other symptoms, and has met all appropriate developmental milestones. In three weeks she will undergo a MRI to check for tumors--the primary result of this condition. Tumors, almost always benign but still dangerous, can grow on any of her organs. Many times they can be surgically removed, but will often reoccur. She will also see a pediatric ophthalmologist since her eyes can be affected.

~Many people with TSC live with few or no symptoms, but others can be seriously affected. We are, of course, hoping and praying that Baby J will be one of the former. It is still a blow, though, to hear that a seemingly thriving baby has a condition that has the potential to affect her for the rest of her life.

~So, in the blink of an eye, life changes. Of course, my first reaction was "It's not fair! Not our sweet Baby J!" But why should it be fair? And why not us? I think of all the others I know of who have things potentially much worse to deal with, and in my heart I try to be grateful that it is not worse. But it is hard.

~When I talked to NSLS yesterday and today she seemed to be handling it well. She and Mr. LS are of course worried, but at the same time, they remind themselves that Baby J is the same baby she was before they received this diagnosis, that she's not sick, per se. She'll require lots more monitoring. Their challenge, and mine I must admit, is to make this new reality "normal" as much as we can, not to disrupt Baby J's life, not to define her by this condition.

~Because I can catastrophize with the best of them, and because Dr. Google is right there to help me, I can picture all of the possible grim outcomes. But I don't want to go there. I want to picture that precious baby growing up to be a strong and vibrant woman. I want her to a have a normal and happy childhood. I want everything to be okay. Just what all parents and grandparents want. It just doesn't always turn out that way. But for now I am trying very hard to focus on how healthy and happy Baby J is now, and how blessed we are to have her.

17 comments:

watercolordaisy said...

Prayers for baby J and her mom and dad.

Anonymous said...

Prayers from us, too.

jo(e) said...

(o)

chichimama said...

(o). Many prayers headed their way.

Unknown said...

I'm praying, too.

Prisca said...

Wow. That's a lot to take in for all of you. Your whole family will be in my prayers.

It also sounds like NSLS is a darn fine mommy, too, and keeping a cool head. I wonder where she gets it? ;) That sweet baby girl comes from some good strong women.

Ianqui said...

As I said over at her site, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Two weeks of dealing with the medical establishment was bad enough--I don't envy your family in that respect. But I do hope that she has the mildest form of TSC, and that you never even notice that she's living with it. Hopefully that's what her current excellent development suggests.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news... many prayers for Baby J, her mom & dad, and of course you.

Phantom Scribbler said...

The worry can do more damage than the medical outcome, that's one thing I've learned over the past two years. I dearly hope that Baby J remains asymptomatic always, and that all of you who love her find your worries ebbing away.

What Now? said...

What a frightening turn of events. Prayers for you all, and blessings to sweet Baby J.

susan said...

What they all said: lots of loving thoughts flowing your way from here.

Snickollet said...

Lots of love to all of you, especially the sweet Baby J.

kathy a. said...

sending much love. keeping you all in my thoughts.

Jules said...

Visualizing Baby J healthy and strong and well all her life -- prayers and good energy. And to you too -- I know it's scary and you fear and worry and try to be positive and succeed in being positive and then start all over again. Love you.

Julie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Much love and prayers and blessings to all of you.

Your comment reminded me of the recent gospel story of the landowner who paid the day-long laborers the same as those who worked for an hour (Matthew 20:1-16). As I reflected on that gospel I was reminded of how often we feel like life is not fair, but how the good news of the gospel is that God is not fair. God is generous in ways that we cannot understand or imagine. I hope that God's generous mercy and grace are present for you and your family.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Oh how scary! Best wishes and prayers to you all.

Kathryn said...

Love and prayers from here too