Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Yummy dinner for a change

~Once upon a time I was a good cook. When the kids were little I was the master of 101-ways-to-use-ground-beef-and-chicken-breasts. And we had lots of salad and veggies, too. But over the years as the number of people at home dwindled, so did my desire to cook. After NSLS went off to college and it was just the Kid and me, it really went downhill, and at seminary because we could eat at the refectory during the week, and eat (relatively) cheaply out on the weekends, I rarely cooked.

~Here we sorely lack the diversity of eating places we had in the city. But I have no real desire to cook. I hate planning meals. I'm uninspired. I don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen after work. So we eat a lot of salads. Frozen pizza (and I've found some really good frozen pizza actually). Pasta. A big pot of soup from time to time. And out--though it's not nearly as much fun.

~I hate shopping as much (or more than) I do cooking. So I put it off as long as possible. But this afternoon, I had to shop. I was picking out a chunk of Parmesan when I saw the container of fresh mozzarella in olive oil with artichokes and sundried tomatoes--yum! So I circled around and picked up some fresh basil and some of the tomatoes that come on the vine, and some crusty bread--still warm. And I brought it all home and we had panninis for dinner. And they were sooooo good.

2 comments:

ccw said...

I think back to how I cooked when I was first married at 19 to now and the change is immeasurable. As I learned to cook, I used more fresh ingredients, as I learned how bad processed food is it become even more, now most meals are healthy. Except for those lazy days when I throw corn dogs on plates and pretend they are the best thing in the world.

Your panninis sound delicious!

Woman Warrior said...

Um... you said you were a good cook when we were kids? Should I really remind you of all the velveeta shells and cheese with ham and lima beans, or the "casseroles" we used to eat? The microwave nacho-potatoes? Lunchables? Hmmm... You have many talents, but I would have never said cooking was one of them...

Call me a hater, but...