Thursday, May 22, 2008

More political thoughts

~Listening to the second discussion I've heard today on NPR on how sexism has affected HRC's candidacy. One person went so far as to imply that if Clinton does not get the nomination it's a slap in the face of all women, who should then boycott the general election.

~I hope that there is a woman president in my life time. But I don't think it's smart to vote for a woman JUST BECAUSE she's a woman.

~It all smacks just a teeny bit of sour grapes at this point. I mean, if the table were turned, couldn't the same arguments be made about racism and black voters? Neither racism or sexism is okay. But you know, ONE of them has to lose. And then it's time to think about how to beat McCain. I'm just saying...

5 comments:

Lauralew said...

Amen. I think it is insulting for folks to think we would as a herd vote for a woman just because she is a woman. That in itself sets feminism back many years. That implies we cannot think for ourselves as individuals.

And you betcha we gotta focus on beating McCain.

susan said...

Yes, yes, yes. The Times had an article a few days ago about Hillary supporters in which Geraldine Ferraro was the most prominent person quoted on a similar theme said she might not vote for Obama (assuming he's the nominee) in the fall. WTF?!? I'm still missing John Edwards, but I'm not about to go vote for someone who is 90% ideologically different from Edwards b/c I'm bummed my early favorite didn't get the nomination. there are differences between Obama and Clinton, but not nearly the differences between either of them and McCain. Geesh.

Unknown said...

I heard a woman on NPR making some sort of threatening remark about supporting McCain instead, because there were more important things than the "beautiful" whatever Obama is talking about.
Um.
Yes, there are very important things, like choice, which McCain is *SO* big on...ahem.

Rev Dr Mom said...

SB, I heard that this morning, too. And to the extent that women pack up and take their votes elsewhere they hurt women FAR more than anyone has in this process so far, imho.

And there's the issue of this endless war where our children are being killed and maimed. Let's don't forget McCain's position on THAT!

kathy a. said...

excuse me, someone thinks ALL women should voluntarily disenfranchise themselves if their favorite doesn't win? how pathetic is that suggestion?

we women are not herd animals. it benefits us not in the least to decline to vote. the right to vote, which was not acquired easily, actually means something to our lives; the suggestion we should squander our participation in this hugely important election is ludicrous.