Friday, May 02, 2008

The party's over...

~and actually it went quite well. We had a "newcomers' reception at my house tonight and about 20 people came-only about a quarter of them actually new, but that's okay. Because I live in the rectory, people are often curious about my house, and it is a kind of interesting house--not nearly as old as many houses around here, but with its own quirks. So people mingled, drank wine, ate veggies and dip and admired the house.

~I love people but the thought of inviting twenty or so people to my house was intimidating--it's the flaming introvert in me I guess. But someone else did all the organizing, and all I had to do was make sure the house was clean and make some spinach dip and veggies.

~I keep my house much cleaner and less cluttered than I ever have before in my life, but piles of papers--bills, receipts and the like--manage to pile up, along with all those random bits of stuff you don't want to throw away but don't know what to do with either. I wanted to get those thigng out of sight so I didn't something I've trying to avoid doing the whole time I've lived here--stuffed them all into an empty drawer and cupboard. If I don't make myself get it all back out and go through it soon, I know I will regret it when it's time to move and I find all sorts of junk to deal with. Eh.

~My only complaint is that my back is wicked stiff....it hasn't' been this way for a long while, and it seems like just all of a sudden it stiffened up. No fun.

~And now I'm going to watch last night's Grey's Anatomy on-line, and then go to bed, because I have an 8:00 am meeting tomorrow-why does anyone think 8:00 am on Saturday is a good time for a meeting??

2 comments:

susan said...

I hope your back feels better soon, and I hope you don't think it's unsupportive of me that one of my first reactons to that sentence was to think about how cool it is that you described it as "wicked stiff." I love that New England wicked.

jo(e) said...

When we have parties, I sometimes just take all the piles from the kitchen table and counters and dump it all in laundry baskets and stick them in the garage.

The about a week later, I'll be putting out the garbage, and see the laundry baskets full of stuff .... and realize that the clean house is just an illusion.