Friday, September 21, 2007

Stuff

A RGBP Friday 5

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?
~I am a bit of both. I am sentimental and save lots of stuff with memories attached. I still have a whole box full of papers and projects from my own K-12 years, as well as my kids'. But I'm not organized enough to have it in scrapbooks--just stuffed in boxes. And I have baby clothes that all four of my kids wore. And old Fisher-Price toys. And a couple of my own old baby dolls.

~On the other hand I don't have a lot of furniture or big things. I vowed years ago not to move things that I don't really like, so when I moved to Vermont I left most of my furniture, and replaced it bit by bit. And I've never had a really big house to fill up (until now, and I've promised myself not to fill this one up, and so far I really haven't).

~I don't have a lot of 'bric-brac' either; all of the things hanging on my walls or sitting on shelves are things that have meaning to me, that have some sort of story.

~I do have a lot of books. I know people with more, but I do have quite a few.

2. Name one important object (could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.
~It's hard to narrow it down to one--see above.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???
I have an Icelandic wool jacket I bought in 1975. It doesn't fit and it needs to be relined and cleaned, but I hate to part with it because it reminds me of living in Iceland.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?
Not a fan. I neither go to yard sales nor have them. When I get rid of stuff, and I do, it goes to Goodwill or someplace like that.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.
I was really good about recycling when I lived in Vermont and NYC, but where I live now, recycling is a lot of work. So I need to just reestablish the habit--even if it means putting the stuff in the car and driving it to the dump--gah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodwill is my usual place to donate as well

great play!

PS-- new blog (used to be at ordinary time)

Sue said...

Great play.

Iceland has always had an exotic allure for me.

Anonymous said...

Books are easy to acquire and hard to give away :)