According to the New York Times Madeleine L'Engle died yesterday (Thursday) in Connecticut. Those of you who've read here for a while know that L'Engle's writing was very important to me and that I collect her books.Although I was the right age to read Wrinkle in Time when it was published, I didn't encounter it until I was in my 20s. I loved it, and its sequels, as did my children later on. A little over 20 years ago I attended a retreat led by L'Engle, and began reading her non-fiction as well, but it was only about 10 years ago that I began collecting her books. I have over 40 of them (some are duplicates) and many of them are books that I will go back and read over and over.
A few years ago while reading some biographical information on L'Engle I figured out that one of NSLS's best childhood friends was related to her through L'Engle's mother's family. I don't know if NSLS's friend even knew it, but the connection was really clear to me from the details in the family history.
L'Engle's characters overlapped her books (and occasionally her real life, to the chagrin of her children) and when you read enough of them you could feel like you were part of the family somehow. Readers knew what happened to Meg Murry when she grew up, and some of the Austin characters surfaced in adult fiction (Suzy Austin in Severed Wasp for example). But we never heard more about Charles Wallace. Reportedly when asked if she would write about him again, L'Engle answered that she would if she found out what happened to him when he grew up.
I guess now we'll never know.
8 comments:
I miss her already.
Ah, I feel bereft, somehow.
I learned it from you -- I read you before I get to the NYT!
I am terribly bereft, too. In fact, a piece of my heart is broken. It just hurts so terribly when my favorite authors die.
I ALWAYS wanted to know what happened to Charles Wallace. In fact when I re-read A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door this summer, I contemplated writing her a letter, begging her to write a book about Charles Wallace, even though I knew that was highly unlikely.
You know, I am not at all surprised that you collect her books and that her writing is important to you. Ever since the first time I saw your comments at Phantom's and then came over here, you reminded me of Madeleine L'Engle. I'm not sure why, something rather intangible, I suppose.
Okay, I'm off to find some tissues to mop myself up!
Turtlebella, I cannot imagine a higher compliment! Thank you.
Reading everyone's comments here and elsewhere reminds me that her legacy will not be forgotten.
Sorry, Mama. I meant to call when I saw it in NYT, but work was busy. Isn't she related to someone from seminary too?
I feel with you all, deeply. I heart-barfed, lengthily, over at Phantom's site, so I won't do it again here. I've been looking all over the web and blogosphere, and I'm thrilled to find so very many people touched and affected by Madeleine.
Kid L is currently reading "A Wrinkle in Time". I plan to read it again when she is finished.
We had a few children's books from the library over the summer that NSBH simply loved.
I posted about it last week too. What a wonderful writer and inspiring woman!
Post a Comment