Monday, September 03, 2007

The new camera

As you can tell, I have been having lots of fun with the new camera. I still have LOTS to learn to use it to its full potential. I tried to learn more about using different settings while I was on vacation--I bought a book about the Canon XT that is really helpful, along with the manual that came with it and experimented with taking the same picture with different settings and so on. But mostly I've used the auto setting and the setting for action--most of the fair pictures were taken with that as were the butterfly pictures.

The one thing that has frustrated me is not being able to zoom in. The only reason I was able to get the butterfly pix is because I was standing only about 2 feet from the butterfly, and even so, they are cropped--as are most of the others (which is fine, really). My old camera had 10x optical zoom, though, and I was used to being able to zoom in on things farther away. I could still use the old camera for that, but honestly now when I use it , it seems so SLOW that it makes me crazy. Am I a bit spoiled here? No doubt.

At any rate, I had a little cash I'd been saving for a while, so today I order a telephoto lens. I was going to wait a bit longer, but delayed gratification only works so long for me. Our parish retreat in nearby state is in two weeks, and it will be a good opportunity to work with the camera again. I do feel a bit guilty for spending so much money on myself, but it's done. At any rate, stay tuned for more pictures.

Here are a couple more from Maine:



6 comments:

Kate said...

Seriously, sometimes I hate being a student without any money. I'm so jealous of your new toy!

Lately I'm way more interested in being a photographer than a professor.

Yankee T said...

Great shots!

Ianqui said...

Which telephoto are you getting? I hope you splurged for an IS one!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Ianqui, I think I got the same one you have--EF-70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS

Ianqui said...

Yeah, that's it.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love these!