~In theory Friday is a good day for clergy to be off--respite for the working weekend coming up, and if you're lucky enough to have Saturday off as well, a shot at a real two day weekend of sorts. In theory. In reality, not so much. Too many things come up that need to be attended to, and too often meetings and funerals and such are scheduled for Fridays. So today, like many Fridays, I'm getting half a day off.
~This afternoon we will have the funeral for a prominent parishioner, a woman who succumbed to ovarian cancer very quickly. C was many things in life--a nurse, a floral arranger, a representative to many diocesan committees, a vestry member, but most of all she would tell you she was a wife, a mother and step-mother, a doting grandmother, and someone who liked to "mother" others, including me--in a good way. She will be missed. Her funeral will be the largest one here since I've been here, and although I'm not in charge, I still have to attend to the details. So in a bit I will go over to the church and make sure everything is in place.
~Yesterday was my last Fresh Start meeting. FS is a program for clergy "in transition," support for newly ordained clergy and those in new positions. As a newly ordained person, I attended for two program years. Like most programs it gets mixed reviews. For me, and many others, it's greatest value is giving us time to be with friends and colleagues and to discuss issues that we really can't talk about in our work settings. It's at FS that that I can get a reality check on my perceptions of my boss and our working relationship, a reality check that is very useful for me. I will miss the camaraderie, but some of us plan to continue to meet next fall, and that will be a good thing.
~I am still pretty sure that the decision I made last week is the right one for now, but talking about it yesterday I realized that I really do need to work hard to make the next two years more than just bearable. On the work front that probably means asking my boss to renegotiate some parts of my letter of agreement--or more precisely to negotiate some things that were left out originally. Not looking forward to that, but I need to do it. I also experienced a few pangs as the people with whom I was ordained were all talking about their plans for moving on to possible new positions in the next year. I know my time will come, and I need to make the best of what I have now.
~While I've been sitting here orioles have come to the feeder several times. They seem to be more "shy" than the other birds and don't stay at the feeder very long. Makes it very hard to get a picture!
~Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of my college graduation--not that significant a milestone in many respects, but significant to me. I started a post about it the other day, but it's still in my draft folder. Maybe I'll finish it later. Now I need to get ready for work.
4 comments:
(o)
20 years since you graduated from college? Wow. I feel old! :) I still remember that day.
Hope you have a nice weekend.
I'm with you, my 20th college reunion is this month. I'm not going and I guess that's allowed me not to think much about it. Good or bad. Nice to know someone else is really a contemporary!
Good luck with the funeral! I'm sure it will be lovely.
I'll be thinking about you as you begin to discuss revising your responsibilities. I can imagine that would be scary!
Ah, Fridays. Mine had a funeral, too, but I do agree, it is a wonderful day off, most of the time.
Post a Comment