Fast forward many years to last summer. I had been paying attention to the birds in my yard for almost a year and had become acquainted with finches and woodpeckers and nut hatches and flickers, all new to me, but I still had never seen an oriole. I knew from my bird book that they did live in my area during the summer so I set up an oriole feeder (they like oranges and grape jelly especially) and waited. Within a few days I noticed bright flashes of orange as birds flew by--orioles! But for some reason they were only here for a couple of weeks.
This spring I moved the oriole feeder closer to the house. Orioles are supposed to arrive around May 1, and it was only a few days after that when I saw my first glimpse. I've had my camera at the ready, but the orioles (and the humming birds) have been amazingly elusive--by the time I get the camera on and aimed they are generally gone. Yesterday while I was writing my sermon I kept the camera right beside me and turned on, and I was rewarded with these:


5 comments:
What an awesome mother's day gift! Yay orioles! (I share with you a deep love of these birds as well.)
Awesome pictures!
Oooh, they are lovely. I wonder if they live around here...
They are my favorite. That's IT! I'm uying one of those feeders. I have been toying with it for months, and now you have convinced me. I see orioles out my office window, but not at the house. I'm going to do something about that.
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment