Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's been too quiet around here...

~Mostly because I've been too busy to write, or even keep up with reading.

~We've had a spate of funerals. The usual bunch of meetings plus end-of-the-program-year programs and lunches and the like. Liturgies to be planned. A new newsletter format to work out. All the normal stuff and then some.

~And because I don't want this place to turn into a constant stream of whining about my mother--which resulted in two posts being started and discarded after further reflection. Suffice it to say that all conversations about her up-coming move have been true to form. And I even got to talk to my sister last week. (Phantom, perhaps you can appreciate how much fun THAT was).

~I did have a lovely overnight visit from my friends D and J who brought their furry family (two dogs, three cats) to stay with us while they visit family in the UK. And now I am walking the dogs three times a day, which is really good for me. Plus I really enjoy having the animals here.

~The dogs love to chase the squirrels in the backyard, but I never thought they would actually catch one. But today they did! Eeek! Not sure what to do, I yelled at them and they let go of the squirrel which ran (or tried to run) up the tree. I fear it was mortally wounded, but I really really didn't want to watch them finish it off. And is eating raw squirrel good for dogs anyway?

~Yeah, I know--the natural order of things and all that. I heard that from the Kid, too. But still.....eeewww.

~The raccoons totally wrecked one of my top-of-the-line squirrel-proof birdfeeders last night. I cannot figure out how they did it--the chain and hook which held it are still in place as is the baffle that makes it impossible to get it on or off the hook without two human sized hands. I don't think I want to let the dogs tangle with the raccoons around here.

~I live in a beach town. I don't think I've ever said that directly, but if you've looked closely at some of my pictures it's been pretty obvious. I live in the old historic part, not the really touristy part, but there has still been a marked increase in traffic the last few days since "the season" starts this weekend, and we've had the weather to match it. Last year it was cold and rainy for Memorial Day weekend, but this year, it actually feels like it could be summer. Too soon to say if it will last, though.

~And now it is time to walk the doggies one last time tonight.

6 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Sympathy on the Fun Family phone calls, and on the sudden inundation of tourist traffic.

I'm avoiding my own whiny post about having to have dinner with my parents this evening. Is it Wednesday yet?

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the dogs!

ccw said...

Much sympathy on the phone calls!


Several of my kitties will eat the sqirrels that they kill. I hate them doing that because it is raw.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Nice to have you back. Knowing where dogs like to stick their tongues at the best of times, I'd say raw squirrel (if it's fresh) is probably OK. Raccoons are amazing creatures and will survive nuclear holocaust along with roaches, I think. Thank God for friends. They helps us survive our families.

Yankee T said...

Sorry about the squirrel. I would feel terrible. You wanna borrow my sister? She'd make you feel good.

Lauralew said...

Glad you are back. Yuck on the squirrel. But walking dogs can be really theraputic, and with the stuff with your family, probably really nice to have the dogs right now.