Friday, November 23, 2007

Post Thanksgiving Friday 5

From the RGBPs:

1. Did you go elsewhere for the day, or did you have visitors at your place instead? How was it?

~See posts below. We had a wonderful time at my daughter's inlaws' place.

2. Main course: If it was the turkey, the whole turkey, and nothing but the turkey, was it prepared in an unusual way? Or did you throw tradition to the winds and do something different?

Full menu: We started with appetizers early afternoon--clam dip, crab toasts, lobster rolls (little ones), mussles, butternut squash pot stickers with sage butter (!)

Main course: Turkey (large and traditionally roasted), stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole (but not made with canned soup, and far better!), brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce (both homemade and canned), delicious bread.

Dessert: Pumpkin pie, tarte tatin, and homemade maple ice cream

But wait--this morning we had crab and spinach quiche, and a Slovakian pastry whose name I've forgotten, and bagels, and some (but not me) had leftover lasgana.

And then Thanksgiving leftovers for lunch.

3. Other than the meal, do you have any Thanksgiving customs that you observe every year?

Not really

4. The day after Thanksgiving is considered a major Christmas shopping day by most US retailers. Do you go out bargain hunting and shop ‘till you drop, or do you stay indoors with the blinds closed? Or something in between?

I try to observe "Buy Nothing Day". I toyed with the idea of going to Target with NSLS, mostly because I haven't been in a Target since 1994, and everyone raves so about them, but we never made it. And when I drove by leaving town and saw the parking lot I was just as glad that I didn't go! Madness, I say, madness.

5. Let the HOLIDAY SEASON commence! When will your Christmas decorations go up?

Sorry, but for me Advent begins next weekend. The Advent wreath and Advent calendars (yes, plural) will go up then. Christmas decorations won't emerge until the week before Christmas, and they'll stay up until after 12th Night (January 6).

3 comments:

Woman Warrior said...

Geez, i hope they are cooking for Christmas, too.

Snickollet said...

The mouth waters! Sounds like a delicious feast and good company.

LutheranChik said...

The appetizers alone sounded wonderful!