Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Five~Take me baby, or leave me

take me for what i am
who i was meant to be
and if you give a damn
take me baby
or leave me
~from the musical 'Rent'

Whether it's new friends or new loves or new employers, here are five things people should know about me:

1. I need to see the big picture. When I don't have the big picture, I can drive people crazy questioning and obsessing about nitpicky details, but when I see the big picture then everything falls into place.

2. I need to be heard. I don't have to have my own way, but it took me a long time to find and acknowledge my voice and I have a hard time when I feel like I'm being shut out or shut down.

3. I have strong opinions but I'm willing to compromise (and see #2). And I am pretty good at seeing all sides of an issue when given the chance.

4. Sometimes I take teasing too seriously and get my feelings hurt. I try not to let this happen, but if you don't know me really well, teasing me (unless it's very gentle teasing) might not go over.

5. Sometimes my facial expressions don't adequately or accurately convey what I am feeling. When I concentrating and thinking about something hard, sometimes people think I'm angry or upset when really I'm not. And sometimes I look disapproving when I don't mean to. And I am not aware in the moment that this is happening. I cannot tell you how much trouble this would get me into with my mother, who more than once in an argument or heated discussion would say to me, "Just wipe that expression off your face!" and I 'd be like, "What expression?" Now I work very hard to keep a neutral expression during meetings, but it doesn't always work. (It's also true that I can't hide positive emotions, and I blush very easily, too. I just don't do 'poker face.' There is a psychological term for all this but I don't remember it at the moment).

6. After I read a few other responses I had to come back and add this: I cry. I cry when I'm angry and when I'm frustrated and when I'm sad. I cry way too easily (imo). I don't like it, but I'm trying to accept it as just the way I am.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Me, too, on #4. Did you grow up around teasers?

Rev Dr Mom said...

Songbird, yes I did. I don't do sarcasm well either, for the same reason.

esperanza said...

Me too on #6. I hate it, but I've not been able to change it. And ditto on the blushing thing. I wonder if they are connected...

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I am so with you on the teasing thing....there was so much mean humor growing up that we have zero tolerance around here. We're not perfect, nor are our kids. But I actually had to explain to my kids the other day after something they read that there is this general assumption that elder siblings will torment younger ones. They were baffled by this--yahoo!

Processing Counselor said...

IO'm with you on # 5. People often comment on my facial expression as a comment and I'm just listening/ I've had to work on that.