Friday, January 01, 2010

Friday Five~A fresh start

From the RGBPs:

1. What will you gladly leave behind in 2009?

All of the angst...so much stress related to my job, finding a new position amidst all that. And all the negativity that went along with it. Nor will I let myself be defined by that experience....letting it all go.

2. What is the biggest challenge of 2010 for you?

Adjusting to my new life here. I love my new position, and I'm (mostly) getting used to living alone. But I still need to work out a good rhythm for using my time well, and develop some out-of-work activities. I have lots of friends--but none of them are HERE and I'm not so good at having a social life all on my own.

3. Is there anything that you simply need to hand to God and say "all will be well, for you are with me"?

Everything. Really. The biggest lesson I learned from last year is that I am not in control. I can make decisions on how to act, and I must do that thoughtfully and responsibly, but beyond that I am not in control.

4. If you could only achieve one thing in 2010 what would it be?

World peace.

Or short of that, a sense of peace and contentment in my life, and well-being in my congregation.

Or more specific yet, see some growth in my congregation.

5. Post a picture, poem or song that sums up your prayer for the year ahead....

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
~Thomas Merton

3 comments:

Jan said...

That Merton prayer is one I always appreciate being reminded of. Thanks.

Sally said...

:-) world peace!

Love that Merton prayer.

Petrichor said...

Hello, I found your blog on the NaBloPoMo randomizer! Happy New Year! I'm not a religious person, but I can very much relate to wanting to let things go, and to get rid of stress. Here's hope we both achieve this in 2010.