Friday, February 01, 2008

Of saints and superbowls

A Friday 5 on the doings of this weekend, which include the Superbowl, Groundhog Day, Candlemass, Imbolc, the feast day of St. Brigid, and the Last Sunday after Epiphany (okay, I threw that one in on my own).

1. Do you celebrate one or more of these?
~I am boycotting the Superbowl. Why? Here are my 5 reasons. Professional football--I do not like it. Too violent. Overpaid players. Expensive tickets. And the Superbowl? All those commercials--no thanks. And the hype--over the top.

~I had to look up Imbolc which should tell you that I don't celebrate that. We don't celebrate Candlemass at my parish. And since St. Brigid falls on a day when we don't have a service, we won't celebrate that either (although had I done morning prayer here today, I would've remembered her).

~I'll be preaching on the Last Sunday in Epiphany though. And Lent starts Wednesday.

2. How?

~Besides preaching....I was looking for something to do Sunday evening. Since I live in the land of the undefeated Superbowl team, everyone I know will be glued to the tube. Maybe I'll just curl up with a good book.

3. Is this a bit of fun or deeply significant?

~Last Epiphany is significant. The Superbowl, not so much.

4. Are festivals/ Saints days important to you?

~I'm sort of in the middle of the protestant-no-way-do-we-celebrate-saints / catholic-solemn-observance-of-every-saint spectrum. When I do mid-week services I use material from Lesser Feasts and Fasts to commemorate saints' days when appropriate.

~I actually like observing various saint's days and learning more about them. I think I have a lower view of what it means to be a saint than some might, but I like the connection to those who have gone before me.

5.Name your favourite Saints day celebration.

~I love All Saints' Day because we get to celebrate ALL the saints. After that I treasure the feasts of Mary Magdalen and Florence Li Tim-Oi.

5 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

I liked reading about Florence Li Tim-Oi, who I had never heard of. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of her, either. Very cool. I'm with you on boycotting the Superbowl. Blech. Although I admit that sometimes the commercials are amusing . . .

Crimson Rambler said...

What a lovely icon of Florence! thank you for that!

Rev Dr Mom said...

That is a picture of the icon my seminary class gave as a gift to the seminary chapel.

Sally said...

Thank you for introducing me to Florence Li-Tim-Oi. What an amazing lady.