Sunday, January 08, 2006

Tired But Happy

It has been a wonderful, exhilarating, exhausting, emotional whirlwind of a weekend. Yesterday along with 10 others I was ordained to the Sacred Order of Priests at the Episcopal Cathedral in Nearby City. It's hard to describe the emotions that come with such an event. Anxiety, fears that something would go wrong, fears that I was inadequate to the task plagued me all last week, as I madly cleaned house to prepare for guests, and took my car in for unexpected repairs and attended to last minute details. But even in all that, moments of grace intruded as friends and parishioners called to wish me well, and things fell into place. As I arrived at the Cathedral I was still anxious but I was there! And it was the Day!

An ordination is a marvelous celebratory occasion, both the culmination of a long process and the beginning of a new journey--serious, yes, sobering with its vows, but still joyous and infused with so much love. Members of my parish here traveled up to the city to be present, my bishop from a neighboring diocese came to ordain me, friends from far away sent well wishes before hand, so I felt so lifted up by love. Two of my good friends from seminary were ordained with me, and I had flashbacks to our first seminary classes, when we all eyed each other warily trying to see the priests we all would hopefully become.

I almost sobbed at the moment when the bishops and other priests laid hands on me. I really don't have the words to adequately describe the deep joy that flooded over me. And not just joy, but a sense of awe that this was really happening.

And today, at my parish I celebrated the Eucharist for the first time. Again I was anxious as the time approached. What if I forgot what to say? What if I forgot the gestures? What if.....but all was fine. Once we started it felt right, and it was both humbling and joyful. My seminary prof and good friend came to preach, and she preached an awesome sermon. And who knew she could sing, too, till she did the descant to "King of Glory, King of Peace" which is one of our "seminary standards" (if you have a hymnal look up the name of the tune...) Again I was almost moved to tears during the service.

After a reception and a nice lunch with my friend and her partner before they went on their way, the adrenaline is about gone, and I'm exhausted. I don't think I could've asked for a more wonderful weekend, a more wonderful start to my priestly ministry. It is a beginning. Thanks be to God.

17 comments:

What Now? said...

Mazel tov! I went to an ordination on Friday night and thought about you, getting ready to go through the same thing the next day. I'm glad that it was such a glorious experience. Many blessings to you and your ministry.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Many blessings today and always.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations and many blessings as you continue in God's service!

- Jenna
ACU_Episcochick

Emily said...

So glad it was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

glad it was fun.

Anonymous said...

blessings :)

and continued joy as you serve Him

Kathryn said...

Were your hands anointed? That was the most powerful moment of all for me, and afterwards I predicted that, when I'd returned to earth after all the joy and excitement of the ordination weekend, they would remain as a tangible, sacramental sign of what had been done.
I was right. Reading your post, I felt trembly and awestruck in the same way that I felt back in July. And I still have my hands.
Blessings on yours as they minister.

net said...

Congratulations and lots of blessings as you live out your calling!

jo(e) said...

How wonderful. I am so happy for you.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Blessings to you! What a wonderful event...may you always feel such joy in service.

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Many many congrats and blessings!

I went to an ordination recently, and at the end, a group of folks started singing "King of Glory..." and I didn't get it. Now I do. Thanks!

Reverend Ya said...

Blessings to you on your ordination. My special remembrance of my ordination was when I went down on my knees for the laying on of hands. The really wonderful thing was not only did the regional minister and elders participate, we also had the whole congregation place their hand on the person in front of them as well, being connected to the elders. I'll never forget the presence of God's love that day. Blessings to you!

christine mtm said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

i remember when i had the hands laid on me too. there were so many that i thought i would fall over, but i stayed up. my mom later commented that they had really forced the Spirit into me.

many many blessings to you!

LutheranChik said...

God's blessings to you as you embark on your vocation!

Phantom Scribbler said...

Mazel tov, Rev. Dr. Mom! I'm so happy for you. And, as someone who would never know anything about the experience of ordination without you and the rest of the RevGalBlogPals, I really appreciate you sharing it with us.

Scrivener said...

Congratulations!!!

Marshall Scott said...

Congratulations on your ordination, from a priest in his 25th year.

I noted Kathryn's comment, and thought about my own most moving moments. There were two actually. The first came when one beloved professor immediately after my ordination as a priest knelt and asked my blessing as a new priest. The second came long after. Another beloved professor came to my parish for a Lenten program. In seminary I served him at the altar in a small church. That night he served me at the altar. It still brings a tear.